Good morning esteemed readers ! Here is today’s summary from Nigeria News paper.
1. About 65 world leaders, including Heads of State, have been invited to grace the inauguration of the President-elect, Bola Tinubu, who will be sworn in as the 16th President of Nigeria on May 29. Also expected at the nation’s seventh transition ceremony are past presidents, diplomats, heads of international organisations and prominent Nigerians and representatives of foreign governments and agencies.
2. The Federation Account Allocation Committee says it shared N655.93bn among the three tiers of government in April 2023. The figure represents a decrease of N58.7bn compared to the N714.63bn shared in March 2023.
3. The Federal Capital Territory Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, on Thursday, said it arrested 34 suspects during its raids on illicit drug dens in the territory. The agency’s FCT Commander, Kabir Tsakuwa, disclosed this in an interview with journalists in Abuja.
4. President-elect and Vice President-elect, Bola Tinubu and Kashim Shettima, will on Thursday, May 25, 2023, be conferred with National Honours as the Grand Commander of the Federal Republic and Grand Commander of the Order of Niger, respectively by President Muhammadu Buhari. The President’s Special Assistant on Digital and New Media, Tolu Ogunlesi, made this known in a tweet on Thursday.
5.The Labour Party, LP, Thursday, announced the resumption of office of its embattled national chairman, chairman, Barrister Julius Abure. Also, the party said that other national officers of the party have fully assumed their constitutional responsibilities.
6. The Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC) on Thursday in Abuja told Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN, lead counsel to Bola Ahmed Tinubu that he was citing an old law against the request by the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Abubakar Atiku for live coverage of proceedings of the court.
7.Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has revoked the Right of Occupancy of nine companies belonging to a former Governor, Senator Ahmed Muhammed Makarfi. The affected properties have also been slated for demolition.
8. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says it is currently probing Zamfara State governor. The governor Bello Matawalle, is undergoing probe for “N70bn fraud”. The anti-graft agency also confirmed that a former Minister of Power, Sale Mamman, who was recently arrested by the operatives of the commission over alleged N22bn fraud, is still in detention.
9. Yaba Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday remanded a man, Emmanuel, for allegedly sexually violating his daughter’s friend in his office. The 34-year-old was remanded by Magistrate Patrick Nwaka on two counts of sexual violation preferred against him.
10. The leadership of the Joint Labour Movement in Osun State has rejected the staff audit proposed by the state government. They demands proper briefing on the exercise. The position of the labour leaders was sequel to circulation of forms among workers.by a consulting firm hired by the state government for the purpose of counting the number of workers on its payroll.